Tuesday, January 03, 2012

New Years Resolutions?

This year I vowed that I would do a few things.  First, I would exercise and second, I would get my house organized.  I have started getting organized...or at least getting rid of things that have not been worn, played with, or touched in over a year.  The exercise part still eludes me.  Well instead of exercising today, I made delicious baked goods.   So, so far I've done the exact opposite of what I've set out to do.  I had a couple of zucchini and a sweet potato that I needed to use.  Zucchini bread was a no brainer.  I use a pretty standard recipe from All Recipes.  Sometimes I add apples, but this time I just added them to the top.   

As for the sweet potato, I have always wanted to try using a doughnut pan.  I got one for Christmas and was itching to make a baked doughnut.  I remember as a kid my mother making doughnuts.  It didn't happen often, but when it did, it was heaven.  I love adding vegetables or other vitamin rich foods into baked goods.  It makes me feel like I'm not being so bad.  They are different from fried doughnuts, but my favorite doughnuts are cake ones anyway.  We used to get them at Eastern Market in Detroit or up at Porter's Orchard in Goodrich, Michigan with hot apple cider.  Well, here is my recipe:

Sweet Potato Doughnuts
Preheat over to 350 degrees.

1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg

1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup sweet potato puree ( I just roasted a sweet potato and pureed it)
1/2 cup milk
4oz of vanilla yogurt

Add dry ingredients from flour to nutmeg. Whisk together. In another bowl add rest of ingredients. Whisk those together. Now add the dry stuff to the wet stuff and don't over-mix.

Use a pastry bag to pipe mixture into doughnut pan. Bake for about 13 minutes. Let cool for a minute or two and then turn out on a wire cooling rack.

Brush donuts with some melted butter or whatever you use and then roll in cinnamon and sugar. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment