Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Wool Knit Soakers

So I made my first pair of wool soakers. It took me about 2 days. I worked on them primarily when I put my son to bed at night or naps. I'm happy with how they look and fit. I did mess up on the waistband in the back. I forgot that I used size 9 needles to make the band, and when I got to the back just used the size 5 needles I was knitting the body with. Since knitted wool stretches, I am not concerned. I might try and make a newborn size, which should take me less time than these did. It would be a good cover for some of my non-waterproof diapers.

All in all I'm excited to try them out tonight. I should be able to let them air out in the mornings and use them again at night. I hear that they shouldn't need to be washed for about 2 weeks since wool is naturally anti-microbial and wicking.

I might try knitting a square next, felting it, and cutting a soaker pattern out to sew. We'll see how much time I have.

Sunday, May 17, 2009

Night-Time Trainers

My son is finally sleeping for 10 hour stretches at night at 2 1/2 years old. I am so happy, but the issue now is that he is peeing through his pull ups. I tried waking him up in the middle of the night, which worked a couple of times, but ultimately made him want to get back into bed with me! I was happy to have my bed back, especially since I'm pregnant again, and I was unwilling to give in. This made for a lot of crying and me trying to get him back to sleep in his bed for hours in the middle of the night!

So, I have tried to make some night-time covers. The first pair ended up being too small. I'll just use it for a cover for the new baby. The second, was a little tight. It worked, but was hard for my son to get on and off by himself. Then I decided to use some wool fabric that I had for the third. Well, it wicks wonderfully - but because it is woven fabric, the pee just rolled off and on to his clothes. I'll have to use it for the day maybe. Now the forth is PUL fabric, 4 layers of fleece, and micro-fleece lining. He should be able to wear these alone as waterproof pull-ups.

Most everything I use is re-purposed fabric. All the flannel comes from old receiving blankets. The fleece comes from a variety of places. The PUL is new.

Next, I'm going to try my had at knitting some wool ones. We'll see what happens.

Monday, May 11, 2009

New Diaper Fabric

I just got some new fabric today. It is a PUL so the diaper that I made will be waterproof. I like to have a variety of diapers. I know that wool, bamboo, and cotton is better for the environment, but there are times that I want the convenience of something waterproof. Plus, wool does require a bit more care. You don't want to dry wool in the dryer. You should hand wash it and lay it flat to dry. No wringing for wool! And it does have to lanolized now and again. That takes more time than I think I will have with a toddler and a baby.

So here it is! My new diaper with cool new PUL fabric. I'm pretty excited. I would love to put snaps on them to make the one size a bit easier to deal with, but I do not have a snap press. The money it would cost to get a snap press is probably not worth it, since I'm only making diapers for me. Oh well.