Thursday, April 14, 2011

A Labor of Love

This whole project started, because I had been trying for over 2 years to buy a beautiful doll from Bamboletta.  They are very popular, handmade by a wonderful group of ladies, and pretty darn cute too.  She makes several a week and puts them on her bigcartel shop and within minutes they are gone.  My internet is not fast enough at work or at home.  I've never been able to add one to a cart!

So, I decided to make my own doll for my daughter.  I watched several tutorials from different sources and bought my supplies from Weir and Stitch Cafe.  It took me about a week to make -at night after the kids were asleep.  The hardest part (at least for my hands) was making the head.  Now I see why so many mamas who make dolls enlist their husbands to make the heads!

Well, I'm happy that this labor of love came out looking pretty good.  I'm actually thinking of making another one to see if I can improve on the first.  I made a crocheted cap to hook all the hair on, and boy does she have a lot of hair.  Next time, I'm going to try and sew hair on the head instead and see how that looks.  I still think it's amazing that the ladies at Bamboletta make so many dolls each week by hand, but I'm happy that I finally have a a baby for my little girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment